I am very patriotic, while, I LOVE to travel and learn about new cultures, there is nothing like coming home to the U.S. Don’t get me wrong, no place is perfect but I do have a very long list of reasons why I love it here. Close to the top of that list is our awesome holidays and what each of them represents(let’s leave Columbus out of this). When you hear awesome holidays the first thing that comes to mind is probably not Labor Day. You may even be thinking why do we celebrate Labor day, again?
Labor Day is a celebration (in my best Dave Chappelle/Rick James voice) of the American worker. During the Industrial Revolution workers, including CHILDREN were working 12 hour days, 7 days a week in awful conditions, just to provide basic necessities for their families. Some very brave Americans, decided that was not the quality of life they wanted. After pushing back and protesting they finally drove change. For this, we should all be very, very grateful.
So, let’s give Labor Day the celebration it deserves and make some American Flag cupcakes! You can either make the cupcakes and the icing (directions below) or if time is limited (or you hate to bake) you can buy both and it will turn out just as lovely. This will take you under an hour and your guests will love it.
Sources: Dol.gov, History.com
American Flag Cupcake Recipe
Chocolate Cupcake Ingredients:
I made vanilla and regretted it so I’m giving you the chocolate recipe instead.
- 2 cups of cake flour
- 1 ¾ cups of sugar
- ¾ cups of cocoa
- 1/1/4 cups of whole milk
- ¾ cup of shortening
- 3 eggs
- ¼ teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
**You will need 28 cupcakes to make the flag
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with liners (I used silver)
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients and mix on high 3-4 minutes until well combined
- Spoon batter into cupcake tins (Tip: use a small ice cream scoop instead of a spoon to make the cupcakes the same size)
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and let cool completely
Butter Cream Frosting Ingredients:
Tip: If you don’t have time to make it, buy it from the bakery at Publix. It’s cheap and delicious.
- 2 ½ sticks unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 ½ cups vegetable shortening
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla
- 2lbs confectioner’s sugar
- Mix butter, shortening and salt together for 3-4 minutes until fluffy
- Add vanilla and beat for 1 minute
- Sift confectioner’s sugar into a large bowl(if you don’t have a sifter, just whisk once in bowl)
- Add half of the confectioners’ sugar to the butter mixture and beat on slow until combined
- Add a half of cup of confectioner’s sugar at a time and beat on low until all is combined
Tip: If it’s too thick at a tablespoon of milk at a time until you get the right consistency.
- Wash blueberries and strawberries and cut the strawberries into quarters
- Once completely cool, ice 28 cupcakes
- Top 6 of the cupcakes with 5 blueberries each
- Top the other 22 with the quartered strawberries
- Arrange on tray and serve.